The position of Residential Life Assistant (RLA) is a full-time (35 hours), live-in position within one of NYU London’s student residences. The RLA will spend the majority of his/her work hours in the housing facilities. The post holder take primary responsibility for administration of the StarRez student housing software, utilized for update housing applications, making room assignments, creating reports, billing, updating room inventory. The post holder will also be part of a team of residential professional staff that has the care of the residents and the day-to-day administration of the residences as primary concerns, including an out of hours emergency response service. This position requires a positive service orientation while performing all duties.
This is a two-year fixed term contract (potential for renewal/extension).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Emergency and Crisis Response & Management – 10%
On site support within the residences, including (but not limited to):
· 24/7 emergency phone response duty rota
· Respond to emergency situations
· Report promptly to supervisors housing issues and concerns about student well-being
Housing administration to support semester and intersession programmes – 35%
Administrative duties, including (but not limited to):
· Primary responsibility for administering StarRez student housing software
· Administration of student Residential Living Agreements
· Supporting all intersession groups’ administration as required
· Keep regular office hours to be available to students
Student support services – 40%
Including (but not limited to):
· Pastoral support to student residents
· Organising and chaperoning trips and welcome activities
· Enforce University and Residential policies and procedures
· Providing timely incident / observation reports
· Mediation of roommate conflicts
· Year-round check in and check out support and collaborate with facilities, housekeeping, security teams
· Working with intersession programmes and residents from external groups
· Assist in developing, obtaining and reviewing feedback from residents about their experience, proposing action points for areas of improvement and implementing them
General Administration – 15%
Day-to-day administrative support, including (but not limited to):
· Room key distribution, replacement and returns; laundry card distribution, replacement and returns; room preparation and checks; database updates; updating informational materials across various media; maintain, update and improve relevant areas of NYU London website
· Attend staff meetings
The responsibilities outlined here are not exhaustive. You may be required to undertake other duties and training as requested by your line manager or as required by the Director of NYUL, which are broadly commensurate with the nature and level of this position.
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree
· Experience of working in a similar role within a facilities based environment e.g. student residences, hotels, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Excellent transcultural and interpersonal communication skills.
· An understanding of student development issues in post-secondary education and study abroad challenges
· Strong ability to prioritize and multi-task as well as to deal with emergencies.
· Familiarity with IT and Social Media, and thorough knowledge of Microsoft systems and programs including Word and Excel.
· High ability to work in a team as well as to develop ideas independently.
· Ability to organize and execute socio-cultural and academic events for up to 100 participants.
· Experience in producing and editing texts in English (such as handbooks, newsletters, etc.). Excellent administrative, management and organizational skills.
Preferences for this position:
Preferred Experience, Skills and Abilities
· Experience with Education, Counseling, Cultural Studies, or related fields preferred.
· Preferably experience in study abroad, international exchange, student services, or residential education.
Candidates must have the unrestricted right to work and live in the UK prior to appointment.
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion.