The position is a live-in position within NYU Berlin’s Student Residence in Berlin, Kreuzberg. It encompasses a broad range of responsibilities and offers you a great entry-level job. You have a unique opportunity to sharpen a multitude of skills within a short period of time.
Your primary role is to monitor and improve students’ well-being at the Student Residence and promote a sense of community among students. You are also expected to serve as a source of expertise on German culture and society. Additional tasks include project-related administrative support of the Student Life team. Some work on evenings or weekends should be anticipated. Availability is mandatory for residential staff training, student arrival and departure days, student orientation, as well as a limited number of day and weekend trips. A high level of service is required.
You will be one of three staff living in NYU Berlin’s Student Residence in Kreuzberg. You will be offered a modern, furnished single apartment within the residence.
Student Advising and Support Services
● Act as a role model and an approachable first point of contact for students.
● Provide logistical guidance and emotional support to students.
● Communicate and promote wellness resources and services.
● Facilitate conflict resolution among residents. (Conflict resolution and mediation training is provided.)
● Communicate and enforce campus safety, emergency and fire evacuation policies.
● Report and document appropriately all incidents and concerns.
● Provide emergency response to students in medical and personal crisis situations as part of a rotating 24/7 coverage.
Administrative Tasks, Community Development, and Event Management
● Assist with student orientation activities, events, day and weekend trips, and students’ community work.
● Organize housing check-in and check-out.
● Coordinate with the facility management and security teams to maintain excellent housing conditions.
● Communicate housing policies to students and ensure that these policies are observed; impose appropriate sanctions, if necessary.
● Promote, organize, and execute socio-cultural and academic events in and around Berlin. This may include developing flyers, posters, brochures, and the use of social media.
● Participate as speaker in official university events.
● Successful completion of a Bachelor’s Degree and work permit for Germany valid through July 2019.
● Fluency in German (B2 required) and English; excellent intercultural and interpersonal communication skills.
● Previous experience living, working, or studying abroad (preferably in North America).
● Strong ability to prioritize and multi-task as well as to deal with emergencies.
● Strong ability to work in a team as well as to develop ideas independently.
● Confident public speaker.
● Genuine interest in getting to know a very diverse set of international students every semester.
● Familiarity with IT and Social Media.
● Ability to organize and execute socio-cultural and academic events for up to 100 participants.
● Experience in producing and editing texts in English (such as handbooks, newsletters, etc.).
About New York University
Founded in 1831, New York University is one of the largest and most prestigious private universities in the United States. NYU is based in New York but also operates branch campuses and research programs in other parts of the U.S. and around the world. As a community of scholars (faculty, students, and staff) that is inclusive of divergent backgrounds and historically underrepresented groups, NYU engages a diversity of viewpoints, perspectives, and approaches.
About NYU Berlin
NYU Berlin is one of NYU's global study-away sites and provides US and other international students with the opportunity to spend a semester studying in Berlin while earning credits towards their degree. The program is fully integrated into NYU's curriculum and designed for BA students in the social sciences, arts and humanities who want to earn credit in their major - including art, art history, drama, environmental studies, European studies, German, history, math, music, politics, psychology, and sociology - while having a transformative experience abroad. Most courses are taught in English. Seminars and lectures take place at the academic center located within the complex of the Kulturbrauerei in Prenzlauer Berg and at NYU Berlin's art and drama studio in Kreuzberg. The program size is 100 students per semester, as well as various January and summer programs.
NYU Berlin Offers:
● A great entry-level career opportunity.
● You can become an integral part of a dynamic and growing program of the largest university study abroad provider in the United States.
● You can gain extensive experience in the area of student services and event management and familiarize yourself with the procedural standards mandated within the North American and EU contexts.
● Competitive salary, benefits, and free housing and amenities in Berlin Kreuzberg.
● A one-year contract with the possibility of extension.
● The possibility of professional advancement within the organization.
Please consult NYU’s data processing policies based on the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) that can be found here: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr/prospective-employee.
Candidates must have the unrestricted right to work and live in Germany prior to appointment.
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion.